Tuesday, October 1, 2013

HELLO CHICAGO!!!!

Well, duh. 

If my last post was saying goodbye to my hometown, clearly the next would be announcing my arrival in my new area code.  I've arrived, I have been here at least a couple of days so I know what I'm talking about (a little) and I'm fucking thrilled. 

This likely sounds sad, pathetic, and very lame but it has been so refreshing to be alone in a city with nothing to do. Despite the melancholy overtone, it's fabulous. The emptiness only means that my future is a completely blank slate. I am currently in such a state that few people rarely find and even less can be optimistic; no job, no friends, no life. Everything is unknown and it's up to me to shape it. Side note: please ignore this post if future posts are about how much I hate myself, my friends, my career or my city. 

I'm getting the opportunity to get to know the beautiful city of Chicago. Despite being told that the weather is horrible, it's expensive and that I'll be in dangerous situations, I love it here! Thankfully, my roomie lives across from the lake and watching the big puffy clouds while writing has been so fun. Yeah, the wind isn't awesome for my big blonde hair but luckily hats have been particularly fashionable lately. I haven't found it to be as overwhelmingly pricey, my take out lunches have been the same as before, drinks are slightly more but that's what one expects when a city has an actual nightlife complete with real DJs and crowds that dance. The most danger I've really encountered has been the random homeless people sprinkled about, but they're actually polite. 

My best girlfriend drove me out here, made a playlist as tribute to our over decade-long friendship, and stayed the weekend. It included brunch, slumber parties, and lots of coffee. The three of us had a blast. They took me to my interview with an iconic international clothing brand and celebrated that it went well. That evening, we went to Cafe Iberico with my brother and his friend to enjoy their refreshing sangria and the amazing tapas. Of course we went to Boystown my first weekend so that my girlfriend and I could tear up the dance floor. 

Through all of this rambling, the only reason that it's been so easy for me to embrace Chicago (and hopefully vice versa), is because Nebraska made it so easy to say goodbye. My closest friends, like Cherry, made me comfortable that we will stay in touch and remain very close despite the distance. Friends that I thought were my closest pushed me away prior to leaving by remaining so wrapped up in their own drama that they forgot to ask me about the fabulous opportunities that await me, making goodbyes tearless and easy. Finally, what I thought would be the most difficult was leaving my best friend, my cabbie, my partner in crime -- my mom. A few days before taking off, I realized that not only am I starting a new life, but Peggy was too. This will be her first time in a childless house since my oldest sister was born 32 years ago. Peggy finally has the same chance that I have and will be spreading her wings too. Saying goodbye to mom was hard, of course, mainly because both of us are against showing any vulnerable emotions. I think we both had a mutual understanding that I'll always be the baby and that I wouldn't be anything without her. 

The only worry I have in the back of my mind as Chicago wraps me up in beautiful lights, fun dance clubs and amazing food? How overweight my mom will allow my dog to get.

1 comment:

  1. Hey darling!! I'm so excited for you and your new adventures. You are one of a sweetest things around and deserve the best life has to give! I would love to stay in touch and eventually meet up for a reminiscent cocktail at Doc's when we're both back in the cornfields. Love ya millions!

    ReplyDelete