Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My roomie, my best friend, my husband

It only seems appropriate to have a post simply dedicated to the lady that twisted my arm and forced me to move to Chicago: Often Annoyed Designer. 

He has been living here only since May but has always had the dream of being the small town girl in the city of Chicago. He's from a cow farm in PA yet makes fun of my hometown. Sigh. My friend is a corporate interior designer, hence the blog name, for a large company internationally known for it's cult following, customer service and delicious product. He is quite literally too gay to function. Don't know the reference? Check out our favorite movie, Mean Girls. We spend most of our time gossiping via Twitter, watching our favorite TV shows, making dinner (which consists of mostly wine), and making our skin beautiful with one of my clay-avocado face masks. We're the perfect puzzle pieces to complement each other; I pick up where his masculinity fails him and vice versa. One could say that we're a modern day Will&Grace, except he's the designer and I'm the argumentative attorney-type.

Yes, one can see that it is love between the two of us. It is rare to find someone that one can be completely, 100%, at-ease with one another. Just minutes ago while he was giggling like a school girl and texting his mother, he let out a princess-esque toot that only caused us to laugh harder. Most people would be slapped for such a crime. We talk about boys, our crazy widowed mothers that we love, my obese dog and everything in between. 

It only seemed logical that once he moved from my hometown, that I needed to escape. Thus begun my Summer of Yes (which was the inspiration for this blog) as well as Escape Strategy 2013. He offered to let me live with him, as did two close friends that were moving to New York City, and friends around the country were gracious enough to offer help with shelter, the job search or at least their insight. Then, something happened and I knew that I needed to move to Chicagoland with my gay lover:

MY SURPRISE BIRTHDAY PARTY! 

Anyone that knows me knows that I love birthdays, particularly my own. Almost more than birthdays, I love surprises. So, being the sneaky, amazing friend that he is, he orchestrated an elaborate surprise birthday party for me at my favorite bar, with my favorite friends and family that he wasn't even acquainted with! It was so impressive and caught me off guard that I jumped up and down which was followed by the waterworks. Totally not me and I was way embarrassed. 

Someone, that has no investment in me other than a friendship, planned all of this from eight hours away? I couldn't believe it. So, that sealed the deal. Immediately, I set a date for me to be in Chicago by. Once I put in my notice at my day job, upped my hours even more at The Valley, and slowly started sorting through years of crap, it became real. The more he and I talked, the more I knew it was the best decision. As excited I was to have Exit Strategy 2013 in motion, he was celebrating that I would be in the City with him. 

Now that I'm here, sharing a bed, sharing laundry baskets, and (possibly most difficult) sharing a DVR, it couldn't be any better. I made dinner tonight and didn't undercook the chick -- as he's done in the past. We just finished Modern Family and in his frozen yogurt induced coma, he's snoring away in the chair. I'm going to pour his light beer on him so that we can put our face masks on and head to bed. 

No, I don't have a boyfriend. Yes, this is probably why. But my future soulmate (vomit), boyfriend and husband will have a lot to live up to after how good this guy treats me. 

Oh, and we call each other whores endless and talk about how much we hate each other. What's better than a caring bestie that you can flip shit to, trip on the side walk, and lock out of the apartment to scare? NOTHING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment