Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I have awful taste in music.

Okay, maybe "theeee most dreaded" question isn't what this post is about... But it's right up there with, "What's your credit score," "What's your honest opinion," and "do I look fat?" 

What type of music do you listen to?

Oh, please no! I always feel like this question is a trap. Whether it's being asked by the sexy professor after a few cocktails, my previous EVP that's anxious to judge, a really fun girl that I want to force into being my friend or anyone, I never see the conversation going well. 

Do I admit that I still belt out Disney tunes in the shower? Or that I secretly adore country music on long drives to visit my grandparents? What about the fact that I instantly learn the lyrics to rap and R&B after hearing it a few times? I clean listening to my dad's Eagles records, I dance to oldies with my big sister and I like to get down on the get down to some EDM at the local gay bar....or in my car. No matter which of those responses I select, I'm going to reveal myself as the bag of crazy that I am. 

Is there a right answer to this? Absolutely not. I try to play it off as, "oh, I just little to a little of everything." It's totally true but I realize it's vague and doesn't answer anything. However, when getting to know someone new I typically find it to be best practice to wait to confess that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to music. I know what I like, I know what I don't. If I hear something with well written lyrics or a beat that I can get my dance on to, I'll download it and play it again and again. That's about it. Maybe it would be better to ask, "what's on your playlist right now?" Nah, that probably wouldn't be good because it's just Ellie Goulding on repeat. Awkward.

Ask me that question at 9am over Starbucks (trenta iced green tea, nosweetner and extra ice) and you'll probably get a decent answer. Try again over a $2 long island at The Q and I'll tell you all about my Britney obsession (not a joke). Ask me when I'm feeling sullen and you will hear about Explosions in the Sky and how much I love Taylor Kitsch and the series Friday Night Lights. ADD much? Perhaps. 

Either way, I'm always looking for someone to educate me about music. I love to sing, I just don't care what it is. If I want to pretend that I'm Ariel in the shower and sing Part of Your World, then I'm going to! You can catch me and my mother jamming to Luke Bryan at any given moment. Applications being accepted for a teacher....ideally one with lots of patience and that realizes I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance. xx

2 comments:

  1. I should've made you a good-bye mix tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my head Tim Riggins is always walking towards me with a thousand yard stare and "Your Hand in Mine" is playing across a bleak West Texas landscape....

    ReplyDelete